Pages

Feb 20, 2009

Hello World

So here I am, writing my first blog and what better subject to make it about rather than NKOTB?
I know, I know, I'm 30 now, I'm a big girl, and some of you might think that there are more important things to be writing about, maybe more "mature and grownup"subjects but the truth is that if thats what you think, then you are more than welcome to stop reading now and please, close the door behind you after you leave......
OK, so you decided to stay? that's great, now sit back, enjoy your stay here and let me tell you how it all started:

I can remember the very first moment when NKOTB "walked into my life"i was a young teenager, my family just moved to Israel and i had NO FRIENDS here. We moved from a place where i was one of the "popular girls"(i hate that word) to a new country , with a new culture and knowing absolutely no one my age. If you have ever been a teenager you know that at that point in your life friends are all you have and all you care about.

I must be fair and say that back where I was born i knew who NKOTB where, i knew they're songs but i wasn't a big fan, i liked them but i wasn't the "fan type"if you know what i mean.

So here i am, walking the streets of Jerusalem alone, just passing some kind of store when i hear a familiar sound, it took me a few seconds to recognize it, but before i knew it i was singing along (in my head!! in my head!!I'm not that crazy to go singing alone in the streets!!) "oh oh oh oh Hanging Tough". And at that specific moment the way I looked at things changed. I realized I had something familiar here, that this place wasn't so different from my old home. I had familiar sounds and i just knew that everything will be OK. People say that music gets straight in your heart and is able to heal it, well for little old me it is true.
It might sound dumb (this is the point where you leave a comment saying it isn't dumb..lol), or childish or whatever you want to call it but it's true, NKOTB just reminded me that i have to hang tough for a little bit longer and that thinks will work out.
So that same day i walked to the record store and bought a video tape of NKOTB (can't remember the name now but it is the one with "shave bro, shave"), and in that lonely summer they where my everything. I played that tape on a daily basis and it brought so much joy to my life, that i really felt i wasn't going trough this thing alone, i had my five guys from Boston with me.
Just to give this a happy end i have to tell you that things did work out for me, a few months latter i was still the biggest Israeli NKOTB fan (still am, by the way) but my life was back where it was supposed to be, school, new friends, new activities, jut a regular teenager.. the only difference between me and my new friends was that they where the "cool guys"so they had Gun's and Roses posters, and Bon Jovi tapes and The doors records and me? my room was covered with NKOTB stuff.. they didn't know back then but the "cool "one was me, right????

To be fair i must add that moving to Israel is the best and hardest decision my parents have ever made. I think my life, and my family's life here is much better than it could ever be back there.

So by the age of 14 i had learned two important lessons :
1- If you are hanging tough things will work out
2- Listen to your parents because sometimes (just sometimes) they do know what's best for you, even if you can't see it right away.


4 תגובות:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing! I don't think the guys know how much they influenced our lives. I love your story and the way it is written.

Anonymous said...

i loved reading your story. can't wait to read some more

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your stories! Good idea to direct your energy to something productive. :)
~Donnie's Boston Girl

Anonymous said...

Love the story, very similar to mine.

Post a Comment